Saturday, March 27, 2010

Saturday Matinee- The Phantom (1943) episode 1 "The Sign of the Skull"

This cinematic gem from Columbia Pictures stars Tom Tyler as the Phantom, Jeanne Bates as Diana Palmer and Rex the Wonder Dog as Devil. As with all movie serial versions of your favorite heroes, many of the names of people and places have been changed for no apparent reason. Don't let it throw you that The Phantom's alter ego is Geoff Prescott or that The Phantom lives on the island of Sai Pana. Just pop some popcorn and turn your suspension of disbelief way up for the next 30 minutes or so.






7 comments:

  1. There's obviously no Episode 2, as that alligator will get him for sure.

    Nice to see the joint creators' credit, "the newspaper feature created by Leon Falk and Ray Moore."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad Who Walks: Ha! I wasn't even aware they HAD gators in the Philippines. That credit is pretty impressive when you think that Siegle and Shuster had to sue DC comics to get their names on the credits for 1978's Superman:The Movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops - let me try again

    Ghost: Thanks for the tip! This was pretty cool. I love old serials. I just ordered this from Amazon, I liked your preview so much.

    I love how in the first part, the phantom is very old, needing his son to step in for him. Dispite some obvious differences, they still had the flavor of the Phantom down fairly well! - Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mykal: I totally want to buy this, but the $17.99 price tag keeps me at bay. Watching the first episode has reassured me, however that I must eventually own this serial.

    I concur, the flavor is definitely on the money and this seems to be a better-than-average serial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the 50's TV pilot? Not as good as this but still interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just purchased this a couple weeks ago, and finished it last week. It's definately one of the best serials ever produced. Although some things had been changed, The Phantom was still pretty much spot-on. I would highly recommend buying this as an add-on to any collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Booksteve: not only have I not seen it, I can't find any listing for it...

    Anonymous: Thanks for weighing in. I've only seen the first episode so far and I am thoroughly impressed.

    ReplyDelete