Saturday, March 27, 2010

R.I.P. Dick Giordano

From Comic Book Resources:

"Venerable creator Dick Giordano has passed away at 77. A longtime inker, editor, and illustrator for DC Comics, Giordano worked on such projects as Neal Adams' Batman and helmed DC editorial initiatives such as Watchmen and Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Giordano began working for DC in the 1960s and became the Executive Editor of DC Comics in 1983. He worked on many classic DC tales such as Green Lantern/Green Arrow and the always amusing Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali. "

To me, Dick Giordano was like a permanent fixture in the world of comics. I grew up with his covers, his inking, his editing and his being in charge of DC. When I discovered the Charlton Superheroes (long after they had packed it up and gone to be DC's step-children) I was thrilled to know that they had existed at all, largely due to Dick Giordano.

Knowing that there will be no future projects undertaken by Dick Giordano brings me a profound and inexplicable sadness.


3 comments:

  1. When I saw his name credited...be it as an inker or editor...it always brought a smile on my face. He'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I've heard of this. I grew up with his work. He was a very good artist and a great editor. He was something else as well, which came across via his columns in the comics and the like: a gentleman.

    Bad news I know, but thanks for the post, Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick, rest in pease.

    ReplyDelete