Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Notice To The Jungle Patrol

As of this week, I am sad to say I will be discontinuing running the week's newspaper strips on Saturdays and Sundays. I've thought long and hard about this and I have decided that, since I am not paying to acquire any rights to these materials, I have no legal right to reprint them here.

The sources I have obtained them from previously, provided them for free to the public, but I am well aware that they(the sources) do so after paying a fee to King Features Syndicate and hope to use those comics to attract advertising dollars.

I do not charge for my blog or its content. To be extra above-board I have avoided even enabling advertising on this blog. However, I feel that the continued posting of current Phantom comic strips may be misconstrued as an attempt to pirate the intellectual property of KFS and The Phantom really hates pirates.

I hope this doesn't disappoint my readers too much. The Phantom can be read daily online for free at the following sites:

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/comics/phantom.html

http://www.seattlepi.com/fun/comic.asp?feature_id=Phantom ( This one lets you search backwards AND has the Mandrake daily as well.)

I will continue posting scans of my vintage Phantom comic books on a weekly basis and will provide photos and scans of any cool collectibles I obtain as well as articles and the usual nonsense I think of.

Best regards,

Aaron (The Ghost Who Blogs)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, John. I thought I'd better drop that feature before I ended up with a "cease and desist" letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron: Good move. And I don't think your blog will suffer for it. Those strips are so easily obtainable elsewhere, no harm done. Now you will have more room for those cool Charlton and Gold Key Phantoms, as well as other oddball Phantom stuff, which is not easy to fine around! – Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the correct thing to do, dang it. But, on the UP-side~ MORE COMIC BOOKS ;~j

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's any consolation, I prefer the posts where your personality comes through. Blocks of comic strips without some comments from you have little appeal for me. Cheers, Aaron. - Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mykal: Thanks. I will have to think of more material. I have to pace myself on posting my comics, as I don't want to run out. Of course, I guess that just gives me an excuse for buying more...

    Lysdexicus: Ha! For now I'll have to limit it to One Mandrake and One Phantom per week.

    Dad Who Walks: That's very kind of you to say. To be honest, the Saturday and Sunday posts were pretty much filler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasnt due to your conversation with someone on the Phantom Phorum???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jermayn: Not directly. That conversation was kinda, well crazy. No matter what that guy says, he was pretty much attacking me. But, nevertheless, I really don't want to steal anything from KFS and risk getting my beloved blog (and potentially the blogs of other good folks) shut down. My wife has been hinting, suggesting, and flat out telling me that posting the dailies was wrong and I finally came around to the same viewpoint.

    Anyway, I have plenty of cooler stuff to post than comics you can get anywhere for free. ;)

    ReplyDelete